To be a member of the Council’s Corporate Management Team (CMT) and to support Members in developing and promoting the vision, values, aims and strategic objectives of the Council. Identifying present and future opportunities and risks in the external environment.
Together with other Directors and Executive Directors lead and support the Council in accordance with its values and objectives, strategies, policies and procedures and Council decisions, and ensure that all activities and actions are directed towards the achievement of these.
To lead and coordinate the Council’s activities and strategies relating to Enabling & Resources. Providing advice and support to the Chief Executive and Members on the above issues.
Act as a role model for and facilitate the development of staff in the service in relation to the Council’s values and behaviours.
The role will also include acting as Statutory Overview and Scrutiny Officer.
Key responsibilities/accountabilities and core behaviours:
- Provide leadership and direction to staff within service area. Performance manage staff in line with the council’s values and behaviours, standards of conduct and performance and ensure appropriate development and action is taken to ensure that objectives are met in line with agreed policies. Delegating management responsibility for this as appropriate.
- Contribute, as part of the leadership team, to the Council’s overall strategy and the efficient and effective leadership and management of all aspects of the Councils services.
- Ensure appropriate and cost effective resources and workforce plans are in place to deliver and develop the service, ensuring that service plan objectives are met.
- Develop people, structures and systems to facilitate effective service provision which are focused on the customer experience.
- Maintain and develop constructive working relations with external partners, suppliers and stakeholders including Trade Unions to achieve positive outcomes conducive to a good working environment.
- Oversee the leadership and management of the Council’s key contracts including waste and leisure.
- Ensure strong corporate governance through management of Democratic Services and Legal Services.
- Be responsible for provision of appropriate and cost effective Customer Experience through multiple contact channels which will provide the key customer interface to services across the Council.
- Act as the Council’s lead on environmental, property and leisure issues.
- Ensure provision of ICT services that support and facilitate council operations and the transformation of services.
- Ensure the effective leadership and management of the following service areas:
- Contract Services (Waste, Leisure, Car Parks, Highways)
- Democratic Services
- Customer experience including libraries, cemetery & crematorium, The Look Out.
- All posts at this level must be able and prepared to lead a response in the event of a civil emergency.
The post holder is expected to be a positive spokesperson and advocate for the Council and demonstrate clear commitment to the work and ambitions of the organisation. S/he will be required to establish close and effective working relationships with the Chief Executive, Executive Directors, other Directors and Members of the Council as well as other key stakeholders including the recognised Trade Unions and partners.
It should be noted that the above list of key accountabilities is not a complete statement of the final duties of the post. It is intended to give an overall view of the position and should be taken as guidance only.
Scale and Scope of Role including budget responsibilities and staff numbers
Income generation £700k
- Demonstrate and role model the Council’s values and behaviours
- Able to understand and lead change and transformation in a large complex organisation
- Able to understand and focus the service on customer needs
- Be outcome focused and have a proven track record of achievements in the field of Transformation and Organisational Development
- Relevant professional qualifications, together with experience within the relevant sectors.
- Evidence of commitment to continuous personal development
- Significant senior leadership experience in a large complex organisation
- Able to coach and develop senior managers and professionals, set clear and ambitious performance targets and monitor progress across a range of professional disciplines
- Substantial experience of managing outsourced services and contracts
- Able to develop and review strategic and business plans in a local government context
- Able to analyse changing situations and information and make effective decisions.
- Able to operate with political sensitivity and maintain effective relationships with elected members, external bodies, external providers and partner organisation
- A track record of developing a vision of high quality, effective and improving services.
- Able to analyse complex information, be agile and react to changing situations quickly and facilitate solutions for the organisation
- The ability to deal with controversial and sensitive issues